If your are interested in earning a passive income online, creating a niche website is a good avenue to pursue. A niche website is a site that focuses on one specific topic or subject that provides value in the form of information, education or entertainment. An example of a niche website would be a website that focuses solely on how to train your dog, or a website that provides meditation courses and tips. Information and value is given to the visitors of the site on a consistent basis.
This article will show you how you can start your own website, and what you can do to start earning an income with your site.
1. Choose the (right) Niche
- find the right niche (look to see if the niche topic has good commercial intent — people are spending money in the niche, the are affiliate offers, and adverters are spending money on ads on places like google adwords in your niche for related keywords)
- the competition is lower (called keyword competition analysis). You can use tools like Google Adwords and other software tools to check up on how competition a niche / keyword is to rank in. There are tools online that can help you with this.
2. Register A Domain Name
3. Purchase a Hosting Account
4. Build A Website With WordPress
- You will need to click the control panel link and enter the username and password to log in.
- Once you do that if using HostGator you will see an icon called Fantastico De Luxe under the software/services tab.
- click the Fantastico De Luxe icon and choose WordPress and install. WordPress will take a few minutes to install, and once finished you can choose layouts, themes, and add blog posts and videos to your website.
5. Monetizing Your Site (Making Money)
Add Content to Your Website
Target Your Content
- To begin, you need to sign up for a Google Adsense account. To do this head to com/adsense/ and either sign in with your existing Gmail account, or create a new Google account.
- next you will fill out the application by entering your personal information, as well as your site URL. You should receive an email in 6-8 hours saying you have been approved.
- log back onto your Google Adsense account and click on the My Ads
- click on the New Ad Unit tab and here you will choose the ad size, and the ad type. When choosing the ad size choose any of the recommended options. Google does a good job of walking you through these steps as it shows which options are recommended.
- When choosing the ad type, it is recommended that you choose the text and display option.
- Once you have completed these steps click on the Save and Get Code Copy and Paste your ad code to your notepad, as you will need this code when adding Adsense to WordPress.
- Log onto WordPress and head to the admin area.
- Simply click on Appearance, then Widgets. You can click and drag the text widget to where you will want the ad to be displayed on your site.
- Underneath the title text, there will be a text box to copy and paste the ad code, paste the code you previously saved to your notepad and click Save and your done.
6. Building Traffic
- Use keywords and phrases in content : Your content should contain key words or phrases that someone would type into Google when searching on a particular subject. Think of what someone would type into google and include this keyword or phrase in your blog post etc. For example, someone might search “how to train a dog to sit”. Your blog post should contain this phrase at the beginning, middle and end of the blog post.
- Add new content regularly : Search engine’s like to rank sites based on how often a site updates its content, which increases the sites relevancy. Be sure to always keep the site updated with fresh content.
- K eep content original : Be sure all the content that you add to your site is original. Do not copy and paste articles from other web sites on the internet. Doing so will hurt you in search engine rankings.
- Backlinks : Back-linking refers to having links from other authoritative websites linking to your websites. The more incoming links you have coming to your site the higher you will rank in search engines. You can create backlinks to your website by submitting articles on Reddit by posting in the sub Reddit that pertains to your site subject. Furthermore, you can submit articles with links to your site on article submitting sites such as Stumble Upon and HubPages.